Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:59:49 +0100
From:      "Andy [Tecc Nops]" <andy@tecc.co.uk>
To:        "Odhiambo Washington" <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        "FBSD-Q" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: dual boot pain

> Did you say "YES" to install the boot manager when you were installing
> FreeBSD?
>
> Install Winblows, then Install FreeBSD and accept to install the boot
> manager. That has always worked for me, regardless of the version of
> Winblows  ;-)
>
> -Wash

I said "NO" to install the FreeBSD boot manager as I wanted to use the NTLdr
but the FreeBSD boot loader still got loaded! I didn't expect that. I
normally
run FreeBSD boxes in "dangerously dedicated" mode and never had a problem.
This
is the first time I've ever tried to dual boot. In the end what I did was
partition
my pri master ide drive into two 6G partitions. Installed W2k onto the first
part/
and all was fine. I then installed FreeBSD into the next partition and said
NO to
install the FreeBSD boot manager. Like I said, it did install it anyway
(??). So
I then ran the "Repair" utility from the W2k disk and choose the "FIXMBR"
option.
This brought back the the NTLdr. Then, from FreeBSD cdrom #2 I copied
/boot/boot1
to the W2k c:\ and added this to the boot.ini as described in many of the
"Kent"
postings to -questions.

Once I had a nice dual boot machine it wasn't hard to go to single user mode
and
transfer /usr to the second IDE drive I had installed. I had made the
orginal
/home partition *very* small cos the freed space from moving /usr to it's
own drive
then became /home. I had the luxury of both OSs being nice brand new
installs so
trashing the drives over and over wasn't a prob (good practice, I musta
installed
both OSs about 15 times at least!)

All in all I'm very happy with what I have now but am still unsure as to why
I couldn't
create a dual boot machine where each OS is on a seperate phyiscal drive as
opposed to the
final solution of using one drive partitioned and "mounting" the second
drive later in the
FreeBSD boot process.

All's well, that ends well. fyi I've been using FreeBSD since 2.2.5 and
never had
any problems with either installing or running it. Excellent OS. This was my
first real
problem and, well, obvious why really isn't it, I tried to install a
commercial Osystem
that I actually paid for, then the troubles began (or should I say 'begin'?)
;)

btw, prior to my coming into fBSD at 2.2.5 I was a *commited* M$ user, even
deployed a large
NT system at Co I worked at. Well, with hindsight......  you get the drift.

Thanks to everyone help on this.

Regards
Ak

Mysig: all the above is *my* opinion!