Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 21:29:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      trout2 <trout2@advancenet.net>
To:        Langa Kentane <LKentane@mweb.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installiing packages (Newbie question)

i'm new to freebsd too, and heres what i did to install some packages:

put the package (in  tar.gz or whatever format) in a dir in /usr/ports

i usually create a dir with the same name as the port
ex: if i want to install pine, make a dir called pine

once the compressed file is in that dir, uncompress it
type gunzip, tar -xvf, etc

once the file is untarred, it usually sets up some dir and other files

type make
a bunch of stuff will happen

then type make install
a bunch if stuff will happen

port should be installed now.
there is a coummand that will update everything and allow
you to start your new port, but i can't remember it.

oh well, someone else will surely now what the command is.
but thats what i do and it appears to work.
(you can restart, that will update everything, but thats no way to go)

sometimes a port will require another port
be installed, and, if possible, freebsd will try
to install that port, so leave the cd in. make/make install
will look there for the missing port.

hope i could be of some help
-aaron