Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 13:05:21 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Continuing ahc problems - also cause fxp failure

>    I will buy a null-modem cable and hook the serial port up to another
>    box in the rack.  I gave you the meat but I realize it wasn't as complete
>    as it could be.
>
>    Oh yah, one thing I forgot... the machine was locked up for an hour
>    before I got to the office.  When I got the office the console was
>    still producing periodic failure messages for both fxp0 and ahc0,
>    and I could break into the debugger.  So I am certain that it isn't
>    a memory issue or anything like.  The fact that *both* fxp0 and ahc0
>    died should be telling.
>
>						-Matt

They aren't even on the same PCI bus.  Do you know if there is a BIOS
update for this box?  Perhaps the chipset is not being setup correctly.
I saw something similar on an IBM RCC 3.0LE system.  The remote system
monitor would trigger a lockup when dumping video memory over the serial
port.  IBM resolved this with a BIOS update.

--
Justin