Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 95 13:37:09 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        phk@ref.tfs.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: newfs: sectors per cylinder (4096) disagrees with disk label (36)

> > 	   # of SCSI controllers
> > 	*  # of SCSI devices per bus
> > 	*  # of SCSI LUNs
> > 	*  # of partitions (regular and extended)
> > 	*  # of BSD slices per partition
>
> Try again:
>
> 	  # of SCSI disks
> 	* # of slices (regular and extended) + 1
> 	* # of BSD partitions per slice
>
> We do not now have, nor do we plan to start having, device nodes directly
> naming SCSI addresses.

Excuse me, that's not what I said, is it?

Let me point out that:

> 	  # of SCSI disks
	==
> > 	   # of SCSI controllers
> > 	*  # of SCSI devices per bus
> > 	*  # of SCSI LUNs

AND

> 	* # of slices (regular and extended) + 1
	==
> > 	*  # of partitions (regular and extended)
	+ 1 (to grant you an unnecessary abstraction that can be
	     worked around by adding a single ioctl)

AND

> 	* # of BSD partitions per slice
	==
> > 	*  # of BSD slices per partition
	+ an irrelevent terminology change

Calculations wherein you arrive at a number (n+1)/n times larger than
mine for n = "# of slices (regular and extended)".

Before you go off on "# of SCSI controllers" vs. "major numbers",
note that I did include this option in the unquoted portion of
my post.  It only reduces the need to less than 32 bits but still
more than the 16 bits you'd expect.

The number of devices that must be addressed is the relevent issue,
not how one chooses to address them (although adding (n+1)/n times
the number of devices does strike me as particularly inelegant).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.