Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 08:00:58 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> Perhaps I overstated the issue, I get up times of many weeks on my dual P6
> here that is used as a development system.  Obviously many others are also
> using SMP for real work.  But the efficiency just isn't there yet.  We
> would bench very poorly against a good SMP system, and thats what needs
> improvement b4 we go prime-time with SMP.

What about smaller steps? Stabilize the current SMP code and make a
release with it (3.0) and then put the next stuff (threaded kernel,
removal of the single kernel lock, etc.) in a next release. That
way we have shorter release cycles and more people can get exposed
to the new features that is currently in -current. I mean, there is
nothing that say our first SMP release should be the ultimate one,
is there? And the -current SMP code (minus a little bug here and
there maybe :-)) is already very usefull to people with processor
intensive apps. (It made a huge difference on the ZA-UNINET news
router/web proxy machines, which has been running it for 6+ months
now.)

Well just a thought.

PS. It does seem that we find most of our bugs just after a release,
so in that sense it would also be good to have shorter release
cycles. :-)))

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za