Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:16:00 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <rdls@satamatics.com>
To:        Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh and background processes

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 11:56:05AM -0700, Tim Erlin wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1. I keep getting booted from SSH. On windows (putty),
> I get a 'host key check failed' error (or something
> similar. On Linux I get 'dispatch_protocol_error:
> rekeying is not supported.' The box I'm connecting to
> is FreeBSD -STABLE. Can I/Should I change this?

I don't understand this. My ssh sessions stay up for ever,
admittedly they're FreeBSD -> FreeBSD :-)

> 2. The reason this is a problem is that I'm trying to
> update my sources, but the SSH terminal doesn't stay
> open long enough to complete 'make buildworld.' How do
> I send this process into the background so that I can
> logout and let it run?

Depends on which shell you're using. The shell I use
(zsh) suspends the foreground process with a Ctrl-Z
then the 'bg' command moves it to the background.
You would need the 'disown' command to allow you to
log out. Of course, you could always start it off in
the background/disowned:

	# make buildworld >logfile 2&>1 &!

Time to buy a good unix book I think ;-)

> TIA, as always...
>
> --Tim Erlin

Richard Smith
Network Systems Director
Satamatics Ltd
Green Lane, Tewkesbury, GL20 8HD, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 1684 278610
Fax: +44 1684 278611