Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 20:14:57 -0800
From:      Chris Browning <cbrown@aracnet.com>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

>         There are only four IRQ's for 5 slots.  Slots 4 and 5 share the
> same IRQ.  So in order to have cards in both 4 and 5, I would assume that
> the cards would have to be able to share interrupts, or one of the cards
> would just not use an interrupt.  (like a video card, perhaps)  This is the
> setup I have now, it seems to work fine:
>
> Slot 1: Adaptec 3940UW   (IRQ 11)
> Slot 2: Matrox Millenium (IRQ 10)
> Slot 3: Empty            (IRQ 9)
> Slot 4: SMC 10/100 card  (IRQ 15)
> Slot 5: Empty            (shares IRQ w/ slot 4)
>
>         The second channel of the 3940 grabs IRQ 10, and video still works
> fine.

Why not place the 3940UW in slot 4.  That way, it will share an
interrupt with the other
channel of the 3940UW.  It should be given that this card can share an
interrupt with itself.
I believe I have used this card in this configuration.  Then you could
also move the Millenium to
Slot 5 and still have two empty, USABLE, PCI slots.  I am pretty sure
that the Millenium doesn't
use any interrupt (as most video cards don't), so this should be a safe
configuration.
Personally, I can't believe that they would design a MB with hardwired
interrupts.  You should be
able to have a PCI slot without ANY interrupt assigned.  In addition,
they all use INTA?  That is
kinda a waste.  Sounds like that kinda kludged the interrupt mapping
into the system.

Chris