Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:24:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        committers@freebsd.org
Cc:        hylafax@freebsd.org, gj@freebsd.org, asami@freebsd.org, Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
Subject:   	ports/comms/hylafax

To Committers etc,

Unfortunately the recent ports/comm/hylafax CVS work was mistaken,
the new port was simply dumped in place of the existing port,
with no prior contact to either:
	<jhs@freebsd.org>	the	MAINTAINER= of the tried & tested port.
or	<hylafax@freebsd.org>	the mail list for ports/comms/hylafax.

It is premature to delete the old port, before the new wrapper is widely
tested, so please do the following CVS fix:
	- Restore original 	ports/comm/hylafax 	from Attic
	- Recommit new port as	ports/comm/hylafax4
	- Make a note in both	ports/comm/hylafax*/Makefile
	  of mail forum		<hylafax@freebsd.org>

Thanks to Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh for providing a new port for hylafax-4  :-)

I had recently on <hylafax@freebsd.org> called for someone to provide a port
for hylafax-4, as I was too busy to upgrade ports/comms/hylafax from V.3 soon.

There's been not one review of the new port on <hylafax@freebsd.org>.
Hylafax is a very complex port, with dependancies on many system interfaces
& other ports, so when things change, it is easy to damage &/or hard to check
complete functionality remains intact (much harder than merely checking
it compiles & appears to produce executable code).

I have long stated on <hylafax@freebsd.org> that when a new port was available,
(whether from me or someone else,) that it should go into ports/comms/hylafax4,
& that ports/comms/hylafax should remain for a long time, till the new port
was confirmed fully OK by a variety of different current & cd-rom users &
modem configurations etc.  No one ever disagreed.

I don't care what the 2 are called/renamed: {hylafax & hylafax4} {3 & 4} etc,
just don't delete the old proven port yet ! Both should remain in ports/
(not just CVS) until wide test acceptance is reported on <hylafax@freebsd.org>.

(BTW I don't have CTM cvs-cur.3341.gz so can't look at commit logs localy yet.)

Ref.  majordomo@freebsd.org definition:
	hylafax              FreeBSD specific aspects of Hylafax
I have set header of this mail: