Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:23:21 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@speakeasy.net>
Cc:        Brandon Kuczenski <brandon@301south.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Lars Eighner <portsuser@larseighner.com>
Subject:   Re: Using ports and packages together (or, how do I get mod_php5 ? )

--------------enig1EBD7D505E362C0E4F074FC0

On 20/09/2011 05:33, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> I noticed only recently that there are now packages on FTP in a folder
> called packages-8-stable.  I am not sure how often these are built.  I
> expect that the entire ports tree is built much like it is during a
> release, except at some later point in time.  I would expect that those=

> ports are all "dependency consistent" with each other to the maximum
> extent possible.

'Latest' packages are built for each updated port + OS version +
architecture combination whenever resources are available on the build
cluster.  Typically that implies a delay of a few days or a week or so
after the update hits the ports CVS.  Yes, if you install the latest
pkgs everything should still remain consistent -- but that means you
should install all of the available updates: picking and choosing is the
route to tears before bedtime[*].

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Unless you know exactly what you're doing and understand how all the
dependency relationships work.

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
JID: matthew@infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW