Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:56:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Yandle <joe@wlcg.com>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@ad1440.net>
Cc:        chris@tourneyland.com, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Servlet runners for FreeBSD ( + Apache)

> > There's JServ (java.apache.org), which I've used a lot under Linux but
> > never under FreeBSD.  The problem with JServ is the the current stable
> > release only implements the servlet-2.0 spec, so you don't get JSPs.
>
> Actually, GNU JSP gives you the 1.0B JSP standard and does indeed work
> with a 2.0 servlet engine.  I run Apache 1.3.9 with Apache JServ 1.1b3
> servlet engine and GNU JSP 1.0.0.  This enables me to do 1.0 JSP
> development, but limited 2.0 servlet development.
>
> GNU JSP detects the servlet engine version and adds its own definitions
> for methods that are missing to support JSP tags like <jsp:forward> and
> what-not.

This is only half true.  While it does allow you to do <jsp:forward>, that
doesn't help your servlets any.  For example, when writing servlet/jsp
software I use the RequestDispatcher.forward() method to pass parameters
from my servlets to my JSPs (separate logic, data, and
presentation).  However, since the servlet-2.0 spec doesn't allow for
this, my servlets can't do it.

Joe Yandle
Internet Programmer
Westlake Consulting Group