Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 97 16:05:28 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-chat@freebsd.org" <FreeBSD-chat@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Needed: Info on shells and script writing

	I'm looking for a good book on the sh shell and writing scripts
with it.  Even better would be some good FAQ's and such available on the
net since "free" is much more in my price range nowadays. :)

	Alternatively, is sh "dead" in the modern Unix world?  I know Perl
and TCL are very popular, but I'm trying to produce some tools that will
be compatible across a number of platforms, and are easily
accesible/modifiable by people who are not professional system
administrators.

	Finally, for general purposes, what is the "best" shell available,
and why?  I know that this topic borders on religious fervor for some
people, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to pursue some
intermediate/advanced learning and before I put a lot of effort into
something that is never going to be the "best" I'd like some advice.
Personally I'm happy with Bash for my everyday stuff, although from what
I've heard it's looked down on by the purists.

Thank you,

Doug

PS, I'm on both lists, but I'm not sure which is the more appropriate for
this question.  Please feel free to limit responses to whichever you feel
is best.

Do thou amend they face,
	and I'll amend my life.
-Shakespeare, "Henry V"