Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 20:48:08 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <david@banning.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NETGRAPH error message on boot

> I have been doing the necessary steps to get DSL running on my
> machine, which is now up and running fine.
>
> On boot however, I get this error;
>
> module_register: module netgraph already exists!
> linker_file_sysinit: "netgraph.ko" failed to register
>
> So I assumed that somehow, since NETGRAPH is compiled into the
> kernel (options NETGRAPH only) that it was trying to load the
> module.
>
> So I figured, I'd take the one out of the kernel, if it's going to
> load the NETGRAPH module separately. But that was a no go.
> So I have in back in the kernel, DSL working fine, but this
> error message happening every boot.
>
> Anyone know why the error message?

There is a problem with the dynamic loading of kernel modules, especially
when some dependent modules are in the kernel and some are not.  I've been
told this is in the process of being fixed.

To use PPPoE without problems, make sure you've got these lines in your
kernel config:

options NETGRAPH
options NETGRAPH_SOCKET
options NETGRAPH_ETHER