Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:05:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "jamgill@uu.net" <jamgill@UU.NET>
To:        Unix Admin <jacks@sage-american.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPS software for Smart-UPS APC

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Unix Admin wrote:

> Am installing a USB Smart-UPS unit made by APC and its bundled software is
> only for SCO Unix and other non-FBSD OS. Thus, I suppose the SCO is
> incompatible and was wondering which software would be the best choice from
> the ports for monitoring the power and doing the management & shutdown. I
> see the following possibles and if anyone has had with experience with this
> UPS and any of these programs, I would like your recommendations about
> which best to use ...much obliged!:
>
> Port:   nut-0.45.3
> Info:   Network UPS Tools
> Maint:  DougB@FreeBSD.org

Nut is nice because it is designed to be network-aware and if you have
more than one machine relying on the power coming from this UPS it
provides a way for the machines that are not directly (serial,
USB) connected to the machine to "monitor" it.

--gill  | Tatu Ylonen, SSH 1.2.12 README:  "Beware that the most effective