Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:51:22 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@googlemail.com>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increase timestamp precision?

--jk5HhkA9Kov5Oxsi

Hi Gary,

* Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@googlemail.com>, 20120210 17:23:
> Is this only visible in the kernel?  I don't see any difference in the
> output of ls -lT whether the sysctl is set to 0 or 1.

It is visible for userspace, but I guess not for ls(1). You can test it
by doing:

	echo foo > foo
	echo bar > bar
	diff -u foo bar

And it prints the header at the top with the raw timestamps.

It's not really useful for a regular user to see the nanoseconds, but
for tools like make(1) and others that depend on timestamps to do
decision making, it would be nice to have.

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/

--jk5HhkA9Kov5Oxsi