Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 21:16:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cyrus imapd/pop3d not talking to sendmail?

Hey all;

Get ready for a long one... I'm including all of this history to a) let
you all know what I did... and b) Avoid responses telling me to do
something I've already done or checked :-)

In the midst of some hardware upgrades, here, I'm also testing some new
software for possible use in production.  One such piece of software is
the Cyrus mailer found in -STABLE ports.

I scoured the included documentation, their websites, and, of course, the
FreeBSD mailing list archives... To no avail.  So, RTFM replies would be
appreciated, if you could point me to TFM. :-)

Cyrus compiled fine, installed fine, and runs without a hitch.  For
testing, I compiled it with the pwcheck_unix option (plaintext passwords),
and logins via cyradm work correctly.  In imapd.conf, I have added a
username for admin, and have verified that this user can log into cyradm
and see all mailboxes.  With the admin user, I issued:

my.host.com> cm user.testuser
my.host.com> sq user.testuser 10240
my.host.com> lq user.testuser
STORAGE 0% (0/10240)

I then modified the freebsd.m4 sendmail config to include MAILER(cyrus),
and with that, made and installed a new sendmail.cf in /etc/sendmail.cf

I checked the new sendmail.cf and adjusted the default path to
/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver (now correct), and changed the user/group for
cyrus to cyrus:cyrus instead of cyrus:mail.  After all was changed here, I
HUPped sendmail.  (And later tried rebooting, just in case :-).

So, I sent mail to testuser, then ran Pine from testuser's account
(configured for IMAP, successfully logged in on port 143 with name and
password.  pwcheck logs a successful login by the same user).

However, even though that user can create and delete folders under his
control, the user can't view mail... And presumably isn't RECEIVING mail
through IMAP, although local mail works as normal.

I also tried telnetting in on port 110 (POP3).  I can successfully log in
as testuser, but stat returns 0 messages/0 octets.  So, while they are
both running, imapd and pop3d don't fetch mail... Presumably because
sendmail isn't communicating with cyrus.

When I log into cyradm as the admin user, lm shows that testuser did, in
fact, create some folders (shown as user.testuser.personal, etc...)

But, lq user.testuser still shows that 0 bytes (or K) are being used for
storage  (even after some fairly large attachments are sent to the
address).

/var/spool/imap/user/testuser has some short or zero length files... But
nothing to indicate any mail was ever received.

--- Snippet of sendmail.cf;

/etc/sendmail.cf (last few lines, where Cyrus info is kept):

<< SNIP!! >>

###   Cyrus Mailer specification               ###

#####  @(#)cyrus.m4	8.9 (Carnegie Mellon) 5/19/1998  #####

Mcyrus,		P=/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver, F=lsDFMnPqA5@/:|, S=10, R=20/40, T=X-Unix,
		U=cyrus:cyrus,
		A=deliver -e -m $h -- $u

Mcyrusbb,	P=/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver, F=lsDFMnP, S=10, R=20/40, T=X-Unix,
		U=cyrus:cyrus,
		A=deliver -e -m $u

-- EOF

If I can include any other information, let me know... I think I've been
pretty exhaustive, so far :-)  I haven't included any other config files,
as most are just one-line edits, and most of THOSE are taken care of by
make all install for the Cyrus port.

/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver exists, and has permissions 4750
(-rwsr-x---).  Owned by cyrus:cyrus.

daemon is a member of the cyrus group in /etc/group

So, to anyone who has successfully installed Cyrus... What have I done
wrong?  I'd really like to give Cyrus a shot..

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  50% Owner, Technical and Accounts
  Phone: +1 (306) 664-1161

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2