Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:46:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      Brian Scott <bscott@bunyatech.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Whats the magic to make pnp and the pcm driver work?

I've just bought a PC and naturally have installed FreeBSD on it.  I've done this a dozen or so times in the past few years so consider myself quite adept at the task.

This one has me beat.

The motherboard is a TXPro (?) and seems to have some SiS chips on it doing all the hard work. This includes onboard video and onboard sound.

I've virtually given up on the video since I can only find linux support for doing anything more than straight VGA16 in X.

What does surprise me is how difficult it is to make the sound work.  I've built a kernel with pnp and pcm support and have configured it so the pnp adjusts the card and the pcm driver finds it. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Instead writes to /dev/audio (audio0) time out.

It seems to me that I'm missing something here. The pnp card has lots of things to adjust and many 'features' according to the pathetic doco. However there seems to be very little control over the pcm driver in the system config (1 port, 1 irq, etc).

Has anyone had any success with these boards or similiar?

Thanks

Brian Scott
--
Brian Scott			bscott@bunyatech.com.au