Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:15:09 +0900
From:      Tomoya Tabuchi <t@tomoyat1.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        allanjude@freebsd.org
Subject:   GSoC Project Involving the reimplementation of beadm(1)

Hello,

I am interested in doing a GSoC project this year with the idea "Write a
new boot environment manager" on the ideas list.
(https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas#Write_a_new_boot_environment_manager)

I would like to ask a few questions involving this.
First, is there a particular reason why this project is listed in the
ideas list? Aside the fact the current implementation in sh is rather
complicated, I was unable to come up with a reason to justify the
reimplementation.

Second, is making the new implmentation of beadm(1) platform independent
and promoting it across the various OpenZFS implmentation / communities
as some sort of "standard" implmentation a good idea, or is it
over-zealous / outside of the project scope / intrusive to other
projects.

As for a late self introduction, my name is Tomoya Tabuchi, and I am a
undergraduate student at Doshisha University in Japan. I will start my
third year in university in April.

Regards,
Tomoya