Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:33:57 -0600
From:      "Alan L. Cox" <alc@imimic.com>
To:        Jonathan Graehl <jonathan@graehl.org>
Cc:        Freebsd-Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD Networking Performance

Jonathan Graehl wrote:

> What would it take to get Linus to give the nod to an implementation conforming
> to the kqueue API?  I remember him saying that he only wanted it to work for
> file descriptors, and to only allow one kqueue per process - neither of which I
> agree with.  The abstraction penalty for the capability of multiple filter types
> and kqueue-as-selectable-fd is as minimal as a table lookup and a pointer
> indirection.  If the kqueue API is overengineered, well, then, so is the
> Berkeley Sockets API.

You should ask the "other" Alan Cox.  I'm the one
with the FreeBSD commit bit as opposed to the Linux
commit bit.  :-)

In general, I agree with your statements in regards
to kqueue().  It's not overengineered.  The capabilities
beyond simple poll/select functionality are quite useful
in practice.  In fact, I contributed the current API
by which AIO can signal I/O completion through kevent().

Alan