Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:24:41 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
Cc:        Tyler Spivey <tyler@wapvi.bc.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   User-mounting floppies (was Re: stupid questions)

Marc Silver said on Jun  5, 2000 at 07:34:55:
> I believe the answer to your question is:
>
> 1)  The index can be found at
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.0-release/INDEX
> (for example if you want the package index for 4.0)
>
> 2)  man mount  :)
>
> The command would be something like "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/"

This command works only if you're root, though.  What happens if you
don't want to be root every time you use a floppy?

I received the following answer from someone some time back.  Since it
gets asked pretty often, I think it deserves to be in the FAQ, and if
there's nothing terribly dangerous about it, here it is for possible
inclusion:

(1) As root, change the permissions on the floppy device (/dev/fd0
or whatever) to allow reads/writes by users.
(2) As root, set the sysctl vfs.usermount to 1
(3) As ordinary user, create a mount point within your home directory.
ie,
    # chmod a+w /dev/fd0
    # sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1
    $ mkdir ~/floppy

Then you should be able to mount with the following command:
    $ mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 ~/floppy

Rahul.