Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:00:04 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, Michael Petry <petry@netwolf.NetMasters.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Continquous Memory vs Virtual Memory

While we're making the software which builds the channel programs, er,
RISC programs most complicated, we could add in support for user specified
clipping regions.  I think there's some code which could be swiped from
the bttv program which does some of that.  As it is, the bttv program
computes the RISC program in user space, and then shoves it into the
kernel; this seems like the wrong division of labor and makes it more
difficult to control what memory gets stomped on.   You wouldn't want
a video capture pointed at the effective UID field of the "u" area,
would you?

louie