Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:02:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   VFS initialization in FreeBSD 3.1

I am trying to understand how VFS gets initialized in FreeBSD 3.1.  In
FreeBSD 2.2.8, the file vnode_if.c is created by vnode_if.sh.  At the end
of vnode_if.c, there is the following array:

    struct vnodeop_desc *vfs_op_descs[] = {......}

This array will be traversed by vfs_op_init() (does not exist in FreeBSD
3.1) and the number of vnode operations is thus determined to be 44 in
FreeBSD 2.2.8.

In FreeBSD 3.1, however, I can not find where the vfs_op_descs is
initialized.  It seems to be initialized in vfs_add_vnodeops(), which is
in turn called by some LKM routine. Is VFS initialized by LKM mechanism in
FreeBSD 3.1.   I expect all system initialization is done by SYSINIT() or
SYSINIT_KT() macros as in FreeBSD 2.2.8.  I hope some guru can give me
some enlightment.

Any help is appreciated.