Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:32:29 -0700
From:      Adarsh Joshi <adarsh.joshi@qlogic.com>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Zero MAC address

Hello everyone,

I assigned a 00:00:00:00:00:00 MAC address to one of my interfaces on a mac=
hine and tried to ping the peer machine. The ping did go through fine.

I can the see the request and reply packets on the packet capture. I am won=
dering if that is legitimate and if not, who is supposed to check that. I m=
ean, the stack or the driver on the sending machine or the receiving machin=
e.

Basically, I am trying to test a statistics utility which keeps track of pa=
ckets with invalid MAC addresses.  Are the packets with zero MAC addresses =
be classified as invalid?

Thanks a lot
Adarsh

This message and any attached documents contain information from QLogic Cor=
poration or its wholly-owned subsidiaries that may be confidential. If you =
are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute, or use =
this information. If you have received this transmission in error, please n=
otify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message.