Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 07:23:20 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        adam@homeport.org (Adam Shostack)
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, darrenr@cyber.com.au, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP RST Handling in 2.2 (fwd)

> Garrett Wollman wrote:
> | <<On Tue, 3 Jun 1997 08:38:23 +1000 (EST), Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au> said:
> |
> | > Currently, not even the SEQ number is verified (for an RST packet) - i.e.
> | > that the ACK does acknowledge the SYN.
> |
> | > I think there is room for improvement in the code.  Comments ?
> |
> | Certainly.  It might also be worth implementing the three-way RST
> | handshake which has been proposed by some to fill some theoretical
> | gaps in TCP's handling of resets which could (very rarely) result in
> | innocent connections getting reset.
>
> 	I'd strongly recommend against implementing a non standard
> TCP mod as anything but an option for those who want to play with it.
> Please don't put it in the base code.

But if we can get something better than we have now, I would feel a lot
better. Last week we had the case here where tcp connections between
machines would just die at random with a "connection reset by peer"
message. It turned out that there was an old Windows 3.1 box with
Trumpet Winsock v1.0b which send Reset messages "at random" for connections
that had nothing to do with it, execept that it was on the same piece
of ethernet coax.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za