Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:32:28 +0100
From:      F.Xavier Noria <fxn@isoco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        nmace85@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: how did you get started in Perl programming?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:57:01 -0500
Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com> wrote:

: i'm in the process of teaching myself Perl.  I have the O-Rielly book
: "learning perl", and i am in the process of reading it, and coding my way
: through it.
:        any advice you could give to someone looking to get into perl
: programming?  thanks

IMHO, you've got the best book to begin with. Read it an write Perl to
solve everyday tasks you'll find you can manage easily with Perl. Then
read more books and write even more Perl, this is a language where you
can write useful programs in a few days of study, but the learning curve
is long. Particularly, I recommend the Camel book, which is a must, and
also "Advanced Perl Programming" and "Effective Perl" are excelent ones
to improve your Perl skills.

As you surely know, CPAN is a common repository for Perl modules. Take
the time to browse it and learn what problems have been already solved.
Most code in CPAN is written by experienced Perl programmers, you may
learn a lot reading it. Read news:comp.lang.perl.misc and ask questions
whenever you need to, there are really amazing regulars there.

Warning, Perl is a adictive :-).

-- fxn