Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2000 14:42:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Johannes Zwart <johannes@jak.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why not XEmacs, after all?

Johannes Zwart writes:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Johannes Zwart writes:
> > > Like?
> > You don't get the freebsd security warnings, do you? The last three
> > times I've upgraded netscape have been due to security bugs that
> > allowed malicious servers to access files on my disk.
> I am subscribed to the security warnings. However, I am not able to run
> any version of FreeBSD on my computer (sad story), because I need Windows
> 95 for my work & school. Which leaves me no space for alternatives.
> So any warnings that would have impact on me if I had the FreeBSD versions
> of the programs I run, tend to get put in the grey corners of my memory.

You have my sympathy. I've managed to avoid needing MS at home for
work. Having recently started back to school, I'm going to see about
doing the same.

> By the way, I recall only two warnings on Netscape lately.

That's true. But I've only upgraded it twice recently.

> > There are also regular discussions about which of the many versions of
> > netscape in the ports tree crash the least often. I personally don't
> > run into that, but I don't run Netscape as my main browser (see
> > below).
> Under Win95 and NT, Netscape has always ran fine as far as I've
> experienced, and never crashed.

Having a native version may help. I've found only the linux version to
be usable. Others report differently.

Under Solaris, Netscape leaked memory like a pig - after leaving it up
for a three or four weeks, the system would run out of virtual
memory. Killing and restarting Netscape released most of it. The Win95
boxes I ran into never stayed up that long, so it's not clear the
problem would ever have surfaced.  Either that's been fixed, or the
frequency of updates for FreeBSD mean I don't run into it.

> > The most annoying bug that I know still exists is that it doesn't
> > implement the "ignore author colors" setting properly, so if you use
> > it you risk getting the author text color on your background color -
> > which could well be unreadable (as opposed to getting the authors text
> > color on the authors background color - which could well be
> > unreadable).
> > I haven't been building general purpose web apps recently, so I'm out
> > of touch with what the current bug set is. Historically it's ranged
> > from improper HTML parsing to not handling redirects as per spec. I'd
> > be surprised if the current version were any better. Hearsay from
> > inside Netscape indicates that Mozilla will be *much* better about
> > that. If true, I'd blame it on them having lost the "embrace and
> > extend" war to MicroSoft.
> Well, I'm anxious. I'll check out the Mozilla home page.

Well, there's a native build for Mozilla - but it's still got lots of
missing features and bugs (changing from the default fonts - which are
from AbiWord - to the ones I want screws up the rendering of the title
bar). There should be version of Netscape 6 PR1 (or maybe 2) for
Windows. The version in the ports tree started loading yet more linux
software, so I killed it.

	<mike