Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 03:24:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [EISA] related matters

The present scheme of allocating devices to one of a number
of spl levels and configuring them by those queues is in my opinion, broken..

How are PCI and EISA devices supposed to fit in with this

if my EISA devices have different spls, should I add them to the queues
used by the isa code, or should I some how beat up the priority masks
for each device?

it would seem to me that the whole situation would be simpler
if we could simply let each device set a spl elvel individually,
and only have a single list of devices (one for ISA).
The problem is that for PCI and EISA busses, the devices are found
in the order they appear on the bus rather than the order they appear
on some internal list. This breaks the way that
the isa probing code works and makes it very difficult to
fit in with it..

other OS's (e.g. mach) manage to allow the masks for each device be
individually specified in any order..
does anyone see why we shouldn't use their code for the job?

julian