Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 09:31:10 -0700
From:      "David Mr. Hackers O'Brien" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about building source

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 08:28:41AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > If it doesn't work as you have said, "make release' also _doesn't_
> > work; we cannot make a distribution. Obviously, it's wrong:)
>
> I think you are missing the facts:
> o	Look in /usr/share/bsd.prog.mk for ".if defined(DESTDIR)";
> 	it overrides my compiler defaults for the values of CFLAGS
> 	and CXXINCLUDES.  This makes them _WRONG_:
> The BSD .mk files insist on using the wrong .mk files; I don't
> know how much clearer I can make it?!?

I went thru this last month -- bsd.*.mk assumes /usr/src and the base
compilers.  Peroid.  People didn't want to accept that, but you are
giving more proof of it.  If you want to change the assumptions of about
the base system, you have to be willing to change bsd.*.mk.  Peroid.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)