Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:07:59 -0800
From:      "Jeff Jirsa" <jjirsa@hmc.edu>
To:        "Denny White" <dennyboy@cableone.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sshd bind to port 22 fails

> I meant /etc/rc.conf. I'm not sharp
> enough on this stuff yet to realize
> at 1st that it does come in the system
> by default & I had installed the newer
> package too when I did the system install.
> Looks like I've done it bassackwards too,
> again. <g> I disabled it in rc.conf,
> commented out in sshd_config where it
> binded to the local ip, & now it just
> starts from the startup script in rc.d.
> I do a ntpdate_enable in rc.conf & below
> it ntpdate_flags="bitsy.mit.edu", so I
> guess for sshd you would put a line like
> sshd_enable="/usr/local/sbin/sshd", right?
> I'll try it anyway. Thanks for the help
> too.

Well, if you're starting it in your (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/) startup script
directory, you dont really need to modify your rc.conf files. Although, IF
you wanted to, you'd do it like this:

[1:04pm] root (/home/jeff) # grep -ir sshd /etc/defaults/rc.conf
sshd_enable="YES"                # Enable sshd or NO
sshd_program="/usr/local/sbin/sshd"   # path to sshd, if you want a
different one.
sshd_flags=""                   # Additional flags for sshd.

- Jeff