Date:      25 Jun 2003 19:45:15 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery " KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        "Julian C. Dunn - Lists" <lists@aquezada.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICRC error?

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 19:35, Julian C. Dunn - Lists wrote:
> > Now what does this mean?
> > I also wonder why it says that it found ad2 as UDMA100 since it is actually
> > an UDMA33 disk?
>
> Euh... which one is your new disk? It would seem to me that the 60GB
> drive i.e. ad0 is the newer one? Unless you're in the habit of buying
> disks that are smaller than your existing setup. In any case, according
> to Seagate
> (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/ata/st340016a.html) your ad2
> drive *IS* UDMA100.
>
> But it sounds like the disk is bad. I usually get these errors when the
> drive is dying.

ICRC is "interface CRC", as opposed to data CRC; if you're getting only
ICRC errors and not data CRC errors, it usually points to bad cabling,
*not* to a bad disk.  I suggest you make sure you're using an
ATA100-rated cable and that the total cable length is within ATA100
limits.

--
brandon s allbery [openafs/solaris/japh/freebsd] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [linux/heimdal/too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu