Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2006 08:51:29 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "N. Ersen SISECI" <siseci@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Calculating of total free memory

N. Ersen SISECI wrote:
> I want to know REAL free memory size in my system. What I want to know
> that is the real free memory size is hw.physmem - Free memory (the one
> that is shown at the output of top -b). Various tools such as the one in
> freecolor ports in ports tree says it is not like that. It seems that
> Free Memory is ( hw.physmem - (Free + Inactv)  )

Um, no-- what you've calculated is the amount of memory that's being used.

Free in top is the amount of memory that is completely unused and is "free";
(Free + Inactive) is the amount of memory that could become available to a
program that needed it, but even that is an oversimplification.

--
-Chuck