Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:21:59 -0500
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>
To:        Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lost disklabel

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:19:11AM -0600, Patrick Hartling wrote the words in effect of:
> I have a machine that is running -current from October 10, 2002.  It had
> been running fine for about two weeks--up until I had to reboot it.
> When it came back up, one of my disks apparently lost its disklabel.
>
> Is there any way to recover a disklabel?  If not, I'm willing to grovel
> the disk and try to reconstruct its disklabel (there is really only one
> partition on it that I need to get back, and its at the beginning of the
> disk), but disklabel(8) won't even let me try to make a new one.  If I
> run 'disklabel -e da3s1', I get an error saying "ioctl DIOCGDINFO:
> Inappropriate ioctl for device".  Running 'disklabel -r da3s1' gives a
> "bad magic pack number" error, which does not surprise me.
>
> This is a "dangerously dedicated" disk with a single BIOS partition
> containing four FreeBSD partitions.  I have a second identical disk in
> the machine.  fdisk(8) gives the same information for each, so I don't
> think the BIOS partition is messed up.  Is there something obvious that
> I'm missing about how to fix this problem?

Hi there.

I am not sure if this is a 100% solution, but can you try using the
find-sb utility.  You can run this utility as root, once you have
compiled it:

	# cd /usr/src/tools/tools/find-sb
	# make
	# ./find-sb <device-name: e.g. /dev/ad0>

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

--
Hiten Pandya (hiten@unixdaemons.com, hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org)