Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:56:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        beemern <beemern@ksu.edu>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: PATCH: start_ap(), and P4 SMP hack to try

On 23-Sep-2002 Terry Lambert wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
>> Depending on the version, I can probably provide a patch that
>> does what I'm suggesting, some time this week.  If it doesn't
>> work, it's not like you've lost anything by trying it...
>
> OK, here is a hack patch.  It is against RELENG_4 as of yesterday,
> but how to convert it to work in -current should be obvious.
>

> What it does is correct the start_ap routine to take a physical
> instead of a logical CPU as an argument.
>
> This is a good idea in general, but what it lets you do is the
> hack that John initially suggested, and it should cause the
> hack to actually work now -- though it may hang again, at a
> later point, for other reasons which should be clear from reading
> the code.

*sigh*, except that we may need to change to using logical APIC
ID's instead of physical ones at some time.  Anyways, I'm not
sure the BIOS is hosed.  The mptable and ACPI MADT table supposedly
have their local APIC entries added by the actual AP's during the
BIOS startup anyways.  Can someone with one of these Intel machines
please see what APIC ID the second processor has on Linux and
Windows?  Thanks.