Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2019 14:13:08 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS for raid

On 16/01/2019 00:33, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Thank you Shawn, Matthew, John, and Doug for your responses. I will
> start reading up on ZFS. The advice about an HBA and a small boot raid
> plus data drives was very helpful as well as the comments about needing
> plenty of ram.

In my experience, you can just build a zpool and use it to both boot
from and to hold all your data.  Creating small boot RAIDs is
unnecessary.  The only exception to this is when you want a zpool that
consists of so many disks the BIOS cannot see them all, in which case
you need a smaller pool or somesuch to boot from.

It is generally a bad idea to mix serious usage of ZFS and UFS in the
same server: the different filesystems will tend to fight with each
other over access to memory for caching, and performance will suffer.

	Cheers,

	Matthew