Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 2009 08:48:11 -0800
From:      Mark Atkinson <atkin901@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GCC segfaulting while trying to compile latest Qt4 code

Ashish SHUKLA wrote:

> Daniel O'Connor writes:
>> On Thursday 05 March 2009 02:44:14 Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
>>> Hi everone,
>>>
>>> While trying to update my 'qt4-gui' port, gcc segfaults during
>>> compilation. I'm running FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE (amd64 architecture) updated
>>> on 3rd March, 2009.
>
>> I would not rule out a hardware problem - seg faults while compiling
>> heavy code (ie big C++ projects :) can be indicative of
>> memory/CPU/PSU/motherboard problems.
>
> Okay, but I even tried compiling that file manually and that also
> resulted in segfault.
>
>> I'd suggest running memtest86 and prime95 for a few hours if you can.
>
> I'll try running memtest86.
>
> Thanks

I believe superpages were mfc'd to -stable as well.   I have one machine
that faults in gcc with this turned on.   You can try adding

vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled="0"

to /boot/loader.conf, rebooting and see if that fixes the problem.  If so,
you might provide the list with your hardware configuration.

For reference:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/110586/focus=111337
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/111307
--