Date:      Thu, 3 Nov 2016 14:31:37 -0400
From:      Prakhar Goel <newt0311@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD images swap space on GCE

Hello,

Something I came across recently:

I'm using freebsd-11-0-release-amd64 from the freebsd-org-cloud-dev
for some of my VMs. Under high memory pressure they seem to just lock
up and become unresponsive. I've waited for up to  ~15 minutes for
them to revive with no luck.

After a little debugging, I think I've narrowed the problem down to
the swap space. By default, the VM seems to have a 1GB swap space
setup on the root disk. GCE scales I/O linearly with the size of the
disk and the size of the root disk is only 22GB. I think this leaves
the root disk with too little I/O capacity to act as swap space (it's
still enough for normal fs use apparently). When I was monitoring this
in top, my memory-intensive processes would continue to work until the
system ran out of RAM and then they'd just get stuck in "vmwait."

To resolve the problem, I enabled extra space in an attached volume
(standard persistent disk, 200GB size). As long as my new swap space
was enabled *and the old swap space was disabled*, my applications
were fine.

Not sure what can be done to resolve this. The default swap setup just
seems to cause problems so maybe remove it altogether and let users
set up their own swap space on faster devices as needed?

Thanks.

PS. Is this the right place to send emails like this? Not sure myself.
--
Warm Regards