Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2021 09:52:26 -0500
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regarding AsciiDoctor and long lines

On 2021-02-10 09:31, Sergio Carlavilla wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 15:07, Daniel Ebdrup Jensen <debdrup@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 02:57:34PM +0100, Andreas B wrote:
>>> Have you considered one sentence per line?
>>>
>>> Ref. https://asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoc-recommended-practices/#one-sentence-per-line.
>>>
>>> Andreas

>> Sure, that seems like a nice compromise.
>>
>> I mostly want some kind of consensus so we can move forward without
>> having to deal with these extremely long lines. ;)
>>
>> Yours,
>> Daniel Ebdrup Jensen
>
> Hi,
>
> Personally I prefer to continue with the "one sentence per line".
> IMHO this allows people to get focused in writing text.
>
> But apart from what the AsciiDoctor recommends about using the "one
> sentece per line".
> There would be some problems with this approach.
>
> In the paragraph there's no problems because you can split a paragraph
> into multiple
> lines and it works well.
>
> For example, in AsciiDoctor this is the same:
>
> - Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do
> eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad
> minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut
> aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. D
>
> - Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
> consectetur adipiscing elit,
> sed do eiusmod tempor
>
> In AsciiDoctor to create a new paragraph you have two options, keep a empty
> line between two lines or use the "plus" character. For example:
>
> This is a +
> line break.
>
> But you should use the "one sentence per line" in: headings, unordered list,
> ordered list, images, included files, and maybe with some custom extensions.
>
> For example, try to make this:
>
> * this is a very very very very (image reached the 72 characters)
> list
> * and this is the second item in the list
>
> Or for example:
>
> == This is a looooooooong (the same, we reached the 72 characters)
> heading
>
> I think you got the point.
>
> Maybe we can find a solution with the diff tool.
>
> Bye!

There was also some mention that one sentence per line is helpful to the
translators.

The translation system will mark a re-wrapped line as 'fuzzy', and
needing someone to re-confirm the translation. It isn't like they need
to retranslate it, but, still.

I imagine something like what we do for man pages, new sentence should
always start on a new line.

--
Allan Jude