Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 05:46:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Graffam <mgraffam@mhv.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD slip'ed to Linux?

Hello all,

I've been using Linux on my P5 for awhile now. I've always wanted to try
out FreeBSD though, but I never did because my Pentium isnt really allowed
any down time.

Well, I recently put together a 486 with 12m of ram and 200m of HD space
for the reason of putting FreeBSD on it for evaluation. I installed
the bins and manpages, and am now trying to get the 486 slipped to the
Pentium to complete installation.

Theres the rub. :)

10.0.0.5 is the pentium
10.0.0.48 is the 486

I know that the Linux series of commands gets it slipped to another Linux
machine with no trouble. The series of commands (that actually matter for
this discussion, anyhow) are:

setserial /dev/cua1 spd_vhi # gets ready for 115.2
slattach -c /dev/cua1 38400 # 38400 with spd_vhi reponds as 115200
ifconfig sl0 10.0.0.5 pointopoint 10.0.0.48 up
route add 10.0.0.48

when this series of commands is run on two Linux machines, ping will
respond at this point.

On the BSD side I do..

slattach -c -h -l -s 115200 /dev/cuaa0
ifconfig sl0 10.0.0.48 10.0.0.5 up

Ok.. now.. I went through the faq and set the ifconfig statement up in
/etc/rc.conf .. thats all fine.. ip's are all set up.

In theory, all I should have to do (so far as I understand the FAQ)
is issue the slattach statement.

I do that, and a netstat -r gives me a default route of 10.0.0.5
..fine, the Linux machine will do ip masqing .. the route to 10.0.0.5
is 10.0.0.48 .. this doesnt seem right to me, and indeed.. a ping of
10.0.0.5 just sits there.

I set the Linux machine to ping the 486, and then did an slstat on
BSD, it reports a punch of incoming packets. I assume that this means
that Linux is all ready to talk.. BSD just isnt responding to the pings,
so that leads me to believe that the BSD routing table isnt set up
correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Michael Graffam (mgraffam@mhv.net)