Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:07:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: High interrupt load on firewalls

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Christopher Smith wrote:

> We have two firewalls sitting on gigabit links.  Each has 2 Netgear GA620
> (ti driver) fibre cards with about 7 vlans spread across them.  Both these
> machines run at *very* high interrupt loads (95 - 100% during business hours
> (mostly 100%), 80 - 90 % during off hours).  They are 1GHz P3 machines (Dell
> 1550s) with 256MB of RAM.  They're actually dual machines, but enabling the
> second CPU doesn't help in terms of load, it just halves the numbers top
> reports.

I'm not sure if system vs interrupt accounting is entirely accurate, so
I'm going to postulate that the firewall itself could actually be the
dominant consumer of CPU time.  Are you using ipfw?  If so, have you tried
out Luigi's new IPFW2?  It was MFC'd to 4.6-stable, and is supposed to be
more efficient.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack