Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:54:04 +0200
From:      "Chris Knipe" <savage@savage.za.org>
To:        "Nick Rogness" <nick@rogness.net>, "George Georgalis" <george@galis.org>
Cc:        "Simon Carr's Palm 3 HandHeld" <palm@simoncarr.com>, "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>, "Mark Johnston" <mjohnston@skyweb.ca>, "'Odhiambo Washington'" <wash@wananchi.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Scripts to Manage Virtual Hosts

Just FYI...

I'm in the process of doing something similar for myself.  It's a perl
script configuring all my vhosts from a MySQL database, and works pretty
need. I just rewrite clients.conf every say, 12 hours to replicate the
changes made in the database, and gracefully restart apache.  No headaches
about removing hosts, because when the file is rewritten again, the deleted
or deactivated vhosts won't be re-written to the conf file via the perl
script.

> > >include "/usr/local/etc/apache/VirtualHost/"
>
> FWIW, This approach does not work if you have FrontPage extension
> enabled.  It wants them all in the main httpd.conf file in order
> to active fp exts via fpinstall.

FP Ext, looks for ServerName, Port, ListenAddress and something else (there
are four directives).  A quick solution I found that I am using, is to have
three files.

httpd.conf (my main apache config)
clients.conf (my clients and virtual hosts)
fp.conf (hack fp ext).

httpd.conf is a full propper configuration file, while clients.conf only
contains <VirtualHost> </VirtualHost> entries.  fp.conf is a combination of
httpd.conf and clients.conf (all my vhosts, plus the required directives
that fp ext needs), but is not used by any any software.  I then just use FP
Extensions, telling it that it should use fp.conf as the apache config, and
whola.  All sorted.

> FP...What a joke...

^^^^^^^^^^ I can't agree more!

--