Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 23:24:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@nike.efn.org>
To:        Synaesthesia <delerium@eagle.ais.net>
Cc:        Bruce Walter <walter@biostat.sph.unc.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIG's 11 and 6...

On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Synaesthesia wrote:

> [...]
> > HEAT! My pentium 120 was having the above problems.  Switching out memory
> > would solve them for a day or two, but the problems would then start to
> > build up again.  FINALLY I replaced the CPU fan and added a big waffle fan
> > in the front of the case and VOILA...  No more SIG's for the last week.
> > Chances are that in the past the time involved in cracking the case and
> > swapping memory dropped the temp enough to alleviate the problem.
>
> I've got a Pentium 133 here running 2.2-960612-SNAP, and it too was
> experiencing more or less random Segmentation Faults, Bus Errors,
> and/or Illegal Instructions.  This behavior persisted despite swapping
> SIMMs several times.  I finally resolved this with a strange fix:
> though the CPU can run at 133MHz, I clocked it down to 120MHz via jumper
> settings on the motherboard.  I haven't had any problems with it since.
>
> I wonder if my problem is actually heat-related as well?  Reducing the
> CPU clock may simply cause the chip to run cooler.  Anyone else have
> similar troubles, or other ideas?

I had for a while over clocked a 486/33 to 40mhz...  when the fan on the
cpu stopped working I would get sig6s during a compile... as soon as I put
a fan back on the chip it all went away...

also...  it could be the motherboard... I had a vlb motherboard running an
amd5x86/133 and it just wouldn't recoginize memory and the memory it would
recognize was "bad" as far as freebsd was conserned... i.e. bad data was
being writen to the disk...  TTYL..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)