Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:11:40 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@alkar.net>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpd 4.1 on 5.5-STABLE

Ian Smith wrote:
> mpd4 -b syslogs the intro line, then sometimes another one, maybe two:
>
> Mar  4 20:03:16 paqi mpd: process 39879 started, version 4.1 (root@paqi.nimnet.asn.au 20:51  3-Mar-2007)
> Mar  4 20:03:16 paqi mpd: CONSOLE: listening on 127.0.0.1 5005
> Mar  4 20:03:16 paqi mpd: [b_PPPoE] exec: /sbin/ifconfig xe0 up
>
> then just disappears; no (logged) message, no core.  Some other times it
> keeps running but responds to neither telnet nor kill, short of kill -9.

Mpd tryes to process all possible signals to make clean shutdown.
Sometimes it can, but sometimes it can't. In such cases it is
recommended to comment out
   signal(SIGSEGV, SendSignal);
   signal(SIGBUS, SendSignal);
   signal(SIGABRT, SendSignal);
lines in main.c to let it crash and make core dump. Try to do it to get
core and use gdb to locate crash reason.

> Neither do I .. but there seems to be something different here, assuming
> you haven't heard of -b mode failing reliably on other 5.5-S systems?

I have not.

--
Alexander Motin mav@alkar.net
Optima Telecom