Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:25:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CA-99-03-FTP-Buffer-Overflows

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Andrew McNaughton wrote:

> I found it rather curious that FreeBSD's ftpd was not mentioned.
> Particularly as the PGP signature's version ID said FreeBSD was used,
> implying that it would have been around for testing.

I did also, so emailed the author of the advisory about it.  I was told
that they had problems contacting a vendor to be responsible for the
report, although they had verified that the problem did not exist.  I
forwarded this mail to Jordan and expressed my concern, but from Jordan's
response I am guessing that it might actually have been a problem on the
part of the advisory author.  I emailed the author back again with
Jordan's response and inquired as to what routes they had attempted to
contact us by, but never received a response.  It's not clear to me yet
who dropped the ball, but who knows :-).  My understanding has always been
that our web page is sufficiently clear about who to contact; if I get a
response I will continue to follow up on it.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/