Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:20:52 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-hackers@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iso2flash img

On 03/23/12 22:08, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Thats the whole point of this exercise - I can't, no cdrom: its a netbook.
> I hoped that you had a USB attachable optical drive in reach for development.
Haven't you heard? CD's are so yesterday... ;)

The reality is I don't have a working CDROM unless its builtin. Haven't
needed one for years now, so no point. The servers and desktops have one
as well, but most are not working very well anymore due to non use - too
much bump and not enough grind. The laptops give me what I need atm.

>> My disk worked in VBox, so I'm sure it is just a netbook thing. I
>> also use that disk as my "install" disk, so I'm not sure exactly what
>> partitions been on it now, it has been used for FreeBSD, PC-BSD, Linux
>> distros, etc.
> After copying the ISO image to the base device (/dev/da0 rather than
> /dev/da0s1), it now carries the isohybrid MBR which marks a single DOS
> partition and leaves the rest of the disk unclaimed. A partition editor
> should be able to push the end of the partition to the next 1 MiB boundary,
> without altering the partition content.
>
> But as said, it is unlikely that this misalignement of the partition end
> is the cause. The observable state of ISOLINUX rather points to a problem
> between hardware, firmware, and the SYSLINUX programs.
My thoughts exactly. Could be Acer, netbook firmware, or the Atom I'd
say (or a combination of these).