Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 01:51:55 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Rakhesh Sasidharan <csu96154@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
Cc:        freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hosting my own domain.

At 1:12 PM -0500 5/6/01, Mike Meyer wrote:

>  You also need a second DNS server, preferable on a different network
>  than your first one. If you've got a cooperative ISP, they'll provide
>  that for you. The best setup I've seen is that they will add your
>  domain to their name server system, with your server listed as the
>  master. You list their servers as the name servers for the domain, and
>  thus avoid DNS lookup traffic over your link, except for the domain
>  transfer from their master.

	If you've got a fixed IP address assigned to you, I would suggest
that you check out getting a free secondary nameserver via the
Nominum GNS project -- these guys have a network of high-availability
nameservers distributed around the world, and (last I looked) the
entry level service is available at no charge.  See
<http://www.secondary.com/>; for more information.

	IMO, this would be better than having your ISP set up as a
secondary for your domain (if you need to change ISPs, you can just
change the IP address that GNS/secondary.com pulls a copy of your
zones from, and everything else automatically moves with you).  Of
course, the best solution of all would be to get both your ISP and
GNS/secondary.com to be secondaries for your domain (you'll want to
think about setting up reverse DNS, and your ISP may be suspicious if
they work with you to do this but they aren't a secondary for your
domain).

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */