Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 12:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bradley Benson <brad@cyberix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Max allowed size of IDE drives

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Bradley Benson wrote:

> I know the later 2.2.x releases didn't support IDE drives larger than 8GB.
> I'm under the assumption that this changed with 3.0, but I've had no luck
> finding information on the change. I believe 10GB IDE drives are now
> supported, and if so what about some of the newer 13GB and even 17GB
> drives? --Thanks

Support was added in April 1998.

Try setting flags '0xb0ffb0ff' on the wdc controller during the boot-ime
configuration.

From the wd(4) man page:

     For each drive there are four bit-fields encoded in a 16 bit integer:

         0x8000  Test and use the 32bit transfer capability of the drive.

         0x4000  If drive looks like it's coming out of sleep mode, assume
                 it's confused and reinitialize it.

         0x2000  Probe for and use the bus-mastering DMA capabilities of mod-
                 ern PCI chipsets.

         0x1000  Use LBA addressing instead of the default CHS addressing.

         0x0f00  Force number of heads to ((flags & 0xf00)>>8), recalculate
                 number of cylinders to match.

         0x00ff  Test and use multi-sector transfer mode of this drive, max
                 number of sectors attempted is (flags & 0x00ff).

Doug White