Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        gurab@lineone.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/var

> Hi,
>
> hopefully someone can help me here ......
> P72 of The Complete FreeBSD - 2nd edition says where to put  /var and
> /tmp

Ouch. This would be a last resort, in my humble opinion. The best
places for /tmp and /var are on a separate partion(s). If one partion
is available then pointing /tmp to /var/tmp makes sense.

> # mkdir /usr/var
> # cd /var
> # tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
> # cd /
> # rm -rf /var

Then you should do:

  # ln -s /usr/var /var

> &
>
> # mkdir /usr/tmp
> # rm -rf /tmp
> # ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp

Just like this, in other words.

A small question, how did /var get so full?

Dave
--
                <----. mailto/pgpfinger: djv@bedford.net