Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 08:13:38 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mike Jenkins <mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, mm@i.cz
Subject:   Re: switch vs bridge (fwd)

Mike Jenkins wrote:

> Wes Peters wrote:
> > The you either don't understand the job, or don't understand the (very
> > limited) capabilities of these so-called layer 4 switches.  It's not that
> > it's a bad idea, just that there are a couple of vendors out there giving
> > the idea a bad name with their implementations.
>
> I think the concept of switching based on udp/tcp port is useful.
> One thing I'm not clear on is at what layer is the switch gathering
> the packets?  Is it at the data link (Ethernet) layer or the network
> layer (IP)?  I was assuming the data link layer to allow transparency.
> If it is the network layer then the switch is your router as Wes said.
> Do layer 3 switches have the ability to redirect packets based on
> udp/tcp port numbers?

That is, by definition, layer 4.  Layer 3 is the IP address layer, and
no "port" information occurs there.  As I said above, it's not that
layer 4 switching is a bad idea, it's just that the current implementation
from some of these vendors is a bit weak, and none are based on standard
protocols.

And it *is* a bad idea to have every switch on your network peeking all
the way into the layer 4 information of EVERY packet flowing through,
that means you've bought a couple thousand times more packet processing
power than you really need.  The best way to do it would be to stick
a layer-4 balancing engine inside a switch chassis, managing ports
via the switch backplane.  AFAIK nobody has done this yet, but it's such
a darned good idea, I know somebody who might.  ;^)