Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:57:22 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "peeter kallas" <peeter.kallas.002@mail.ee>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cryptographic file systems

As long as anyone has physical access to the box, there is no solution to
the problem you describe.  Anyone with access to the server also has access
to its network connections, and could thus intercept network traffic
involving encrypted files.  Encrypting them on disk is thus pointless.

The only way to keep files on the server is to encrypt them AND transmit and
receive them over the wire in encrypted form to and from client machines.
Keys, passphrases, and plaintext file content must not pass over the wire;
encryption and decryption operations must take place only on client
machines.  If this is done, then physical access to the file server will not
aid an intruder in compromising file content.  But in the scenario you
describe, an intruder could intercept key material, passphrases, or actual
plaintext file content on the wire, making encryption on disk moot.

This also implies that encryption cannot be made completely transparent for
the end user.