Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:35:23 +0400
From:      Andrey Chernov <ache@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, tjr@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: replacing FreeBSD's -lgnuregex with GNUlib's version

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 07:49:10AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> = Someone must test its compatibility with GNU regex and understand in
> = details nature of their changes/fixes/differences. Without this work we
> = can't blindly replace stable code with unknown one just for reason it is
> = actively maintained.
>
> What kind of test would be deemed sufficient?

I don't have anything at hand, but I saw a tests in some regex
implementations I don't remember now. Perhaps someone else knows good
regex test suits?

The common bottle neck is locale:
collating, multibyte and character classes handling.
I can test it excepting multibyte, our multibyte-enabled developers
needed.

What must be tested before as primary target: general POSIX compatibility.
What must be tested in second: GNU regex compatibility.

--
http://ache.pp.ru/