Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 13:00:42 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        "Maximiliano A. Eschoyez" <meschoyez@ubp.edu.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE

Maximiliano A. Eschoyez wrote:

> * Why people under UNIX-like OS try to emulate a MS 'Operative
> System' *

	We don't necessarily. :)

> Well, Who am I?
>
> I'm Maxi, a student of Telecomunications (engineer) [I'm trying
> to learn english because here, Argentina, we speak spanish, so
> excuse my errors]

	Bienvenidos amigo. :)  Many people have posted lots of good advice for
helping you to learn FreeBSD, so I won't cover that topic again. I do
want to talk about the idea of KDE emulating Windows. I am searching for
a window manager that I really like, and haven't found one that has
everything I want yet. I am currently trying KDE, so I read up on it
quite a bit. What the developer claims (and I have no reason to doubt
him) is that he has never seen the Windows 95 interface, so he is not
trying to emulate it. In fact, KDE looks a lot more like OS/2 than it
looks like Windows 95.

	There is another important point here though. There is a big difference
between the *user interface* and the *operating system*. In Windows 95,
the operating system is still (mostly) DOS. There is a more
sophisticated user interface and a slightly more sophisticated
application starting/scheduling engine when compared to Windows 3.1, but
the operating system itself is still basically DOS. (Windows NT is a
whole different story, but I digress.) However, in spite of all of
Windows' faults in its various incarnations, the user interface is
pretty good. In fact, Windows 95's user interface borrowed a lot of
ideas from macintosh and several ideas from OS/2 and came up with a
fairly good mix. The fact that the operating system crashes on a fairly
regular basis is a whole different pot of beans. :)

	Now that memory and disk space are both pretty cheap, there is no
reason not to put a more friendly face on the power of unix for the
desktop user. It is still important to know the command line, and I use
it every day. But you also can't deny that it is easier to be productive
when you can have many projects (command line or otherwise) instantly
available to you at the same time with just a few clicks of the mouse.
This is the reason that emacs became very popular in the unix world as a
user interface (in addition to its other functions) long before it
became possible to run X on almost every desktop.

	Having a good graphical user interface doesn't pollute the beauty of
unix, it makes it accessible to a whole new group of people. I think
that's a good thing. :)  As David Greenman said recently (and I'm
paraphrasing a bit :), it's not FreeBSD vs. the rest of the world, it's
free software vs. those who would try to force us into their model so
that they can profit from our misery.

Hasta luego,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet